Thursday, February 01, 2007

No, it looks terrible in hot pink.

{rant}

Beach Cruiser bikes are the equivalent of SUV's...
I don't care that because they're bigger they're more comfortable. You're riding it no more than a mile, suck it up.
I don't care that its super cute because it comes in pink.
I do care that when I go to responsibly try to lock my bike to a bike rack, your extra wide handlebars are looming over into the space allotted to my bike... Not quite unlike an SUV failing to allow for any space to enter and exit your car, because it takes up way too much of a the parking spot.
I'm a little bit tired of getting stabbed in the side by your handlebars as I try to reach over and across your bike to lock and unlock mine.
Just because you can build it that big, and you can afford to buy it that big, doesn't mean you should.

{/rant}

Anyone joining me in my support of skinny, maneuverable bikes?

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

You could do an entire sociological study on the pink cruiser...who has it, and why.

Kelly said...

After having two cruisers stolen from campus in as many years (both of which were a lovely shade of blue, not pink), I have given up on bike riding at USC altogether. The truth is that we have a very small, walkable campus, where few of us live more than a mile from our classes. And after living in Europe for six months, taking a bike for what would be a 10 or 15 minute walk seems awfully lazy and impractical. Perhaps you should give up biking to and from campus altogether (and save yourself the apparently-significant frustration of those crowded bike racks) and take up the healthy and refreshing habit of walking to class. Trust me, it's not that bad. (And please don't say you don't have the time... with 16 units, a 20 hour/week internship - based in Century City - and involvement in two particularly time consuming campus organizations, I can assure you that the extra 10 minutes or so is perfectly manageable, and good for sanity).

Also, in the spirit of friendly dialogue and the careful consideration of pressing issues of gender and identity, I recommend taking a look at this. I would honestly appreciate your thoughts :)