Thursday, February 01, 2007

Feminism, Sexism, and the notion of Gender

In a class the other day, we were supposed to create an imaginary institution that was structurally sexist.
First we tried to determine what 'sexist' means. In this class, coming to a definition tends to be very Montessori-like, in that every answer is considered valid, whether it is or not, and regardless of the fact that we are trying to set a base.

I believe any assumptions based on gender (not sex, but socially constructed gender) to be 'sexist', whether the assumption is positive or negative, whether it hurts or helps a certain group. [I'm using 'sexism' as I believe that term came into use before we had a concept of gender and biological sex being different.] I think the acknowledgment of gender, especially in individual instances, is inherently sexist, because it draws upon a number of social constructions that may or may not have any relevance to the individual person being considered.

The Colonic has a post that imagines, "a world wherein biological organs, sex, gender and sexuality do not have a culturally idealized relationship to one another," which I don't completely disagree with. My only complaint would be that it still seems to click to a notion of two options, even if one can flow in between, while maybe we could move away from these social constructions being all that we draw from - that our definitions of self come from the collective of everyone else.

So what about the decline in popularity of the word, 'feminism'? While others may have different reasons, I find part of the reason to be because I am not pro-woman or pro-feminine any more than I am pro-human.

In following, I am frustrated even when 'feminine' is used in what I deem to be a positive context. For example, Justice by Truth discusses the feminist approach to international relations. I understand that taking a gender lens to such a study can examine "where are the women" in any given situation, as she cites. However, with my limited knowledge of IR theory, I do not understand how that extrapolates to
Feminist theory of international relations is based on several assumptions. Feminist theorists examine the individual level rather than the state level. They propose that non state actors influence global issues, where as realists propose that the nation-state is the unitary actor. Feminists support justice over order, meaning a just system is more beneficial than one in a hierarchal structure. Feminists strive for equality, not only between sex but race and other dichotomies that exist as well. Struggle is inherent in this journey for equality, a challenge feminist theorists are ready to accept.
I find this to be one of those examples of sprawling notions of connections under misleading titles. While I do agree that advocates for different causes, for example environmentalists and feminists, can work together on some issues. However, I find little connection to tell me why, inherently, feminist theorists support justice over order, how that is derived from viewing relations through a gender lens.

Continuing, the post discusses structural violence, which is defined as "given social structure or social institution kills people slowly by preventing them from meeting their basic needs," and how this can be resolved through a feminist viewpoint. As previously explained, I fully believe that gender is a social construct. Therefore, I fail to be convinced that the answer to a problem that is within the social structure itself can be solved by another invented construction within that institutionalization. If the problem is that society has been built so as to disadvantage x people, I do not think the solution can come from another flaw in the system - gender.

Asking questions regarding gender in the past are interesting to find out more about our history. The question, "Where are the women?" can inform us about the other half of history that is often ignored, and just add to our knowledge. Using that question as a solution to current problems, as if finding the absence of women and then adding them to the equation will solve the issue is less useful. To want to have knowledge of the whole scenario is commendable, but I am fairly certain historical scenarios go beyond male and female.

No comments: