Monday, June 18, 2007

But the Children!

Today on New Jersey 101.5 [Yes, I'm home. Yes, I've been to the diner] the DJ (I believe it was Michele Pilenza) discussed with listeners apparent upcoming legislation barring discrimination against transgendered people.

Between the DJ as moderator and the call-in listeners, they seemed to arrive on a decision that "themselves" as adults would be fine having a transgendered co-worker, even if they were not comfortable with the whole thing, they would get along for the sake of their job. However, everyone had this concern about transgendered teachers being around young 'impressionable' minds. One woman stated that we should 'definitely' do studies first to see what the effects could be on 'these children' ten years down the road. Listeners reached a consensus that discrimination should be barred at most workplaces, but that schools are exceptions.

One listener said that a teacher could hide homosexuality, but not being transgendered. Another listener (actually the same that insisted on extensive studies) said, "Have you ever seen someone trying to be the opposite gender? You can always tell." Oh yea? Check the portraits accompanying Newsweek's series "Rethinking Gender." And why would should we expect a teacher to hide homosexuality? To change pronouns or avoid discussion of a possible someone who is very important to them? Come on, classrooms aren't the military, silly.

Yet, I fail to understand their concern. I would think that a transgendered teacher actually should be less threatening than a gay teacher. While having a homosexual teacher might encourage children to consider homosexuality acceptable (oh no! not that!), I think a transgendered teacher would just teach children to not lock themselves into a gender role, and instead explore themselves, whoever and however that may be. Maybe transgendered teachers would improve girls' scores in math and science or something like that.

The DJ took the stance of saying she "just wasn't sure yet," at least a step above the callers who seemed on the verge of tears over "What would happen to the children!?" (Of course, with none of them really elaborating into exactly what they were afraid might happen.)

I chalk this up to another "I'm actually prejudiced, but I know I can't express my prejudice outloud because this prejudice is no longer acceptable, but if I tweak the argument to say 'Oh, well, you know, I'm fine with it, but what if...' than I can get away with being a frightened, ignorant bigot."

... A slight step in the right direction, because at least it may lead to some, less discrimination in some workplaces, but still, a call of whiny fear rather than actual argument.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

About the whole discrimination thing...I think that the idea of prejudice/discrimination/homophobia is all skewed. Example: I'm fine with gay people, I just don't want anyone in my family gay...I'm fine with black people, I just don't don't want any one in my family to marry one. That is still prejudice.

Just like I'm fine with trans people...just keep them away from my kids.

Anonymous said...

Who would think that the same person that they have trusted to teach their children for years, would be any different if allowed her own identity to show at work? Countless research studies argue that when children see their teachers as individuals, the students educational progress improves.

The truth is that some individuals do not think with their heads (or at least the larger of the two). We allow people to remain ignorant, because the queen is always center stage at Pride events. Someone that is really comfortable living life in the gender roles (and constraints), does not go around parading... "look at me, I am a 40ish, middle income frumpish school teacher!" I have learned the same lessons that everyone else has learned. High heels, revealing blouses and short skirts have no place at school. Funny thing, I learned that when I was kid, not these past years.

Because my shirt now buttons on the other side, my trousers come from Liz, my skin tone is better... I have not suddenly become public enemy number one. My credentials and experience represent who I am and what I am capable of doing with a classroom of adolescents. If anything, my new status makes me more keenly aware of gender's role in education.

Alas, I have not reached the point where my past does not influence my present. Even though I was listed at a co-presenter at a major educational research convention, it was decided that perhaps it was best to skip this one.

it is the same reason, why I will not sign this post.